A Brief History
Bradbury Fields (formerly known as the Liverpool Voluntary Society for the Blind (LVSB)) was established in 1857, to provide a service for blind people in their own homes.In the beginning, this meant reading the bible to those who could not see. Most of the work would have been done by those privileged members of society who could spare the time to undertake charitable work.
During the First World War, attitudes to sight loss changed considerably, as many (officers and gentlemen) lost their sight in the trenches. The Second World War saw a great change in the society’s work, helping people to undertake tasks so they could be employed in ammunitions factories. The world has changed a great deal since then and Bradbury Fields now employs some 32 members of staff and works in partnership with local Social Services departments in Liverpool and Knowsley to provide a statutory rehabilitation service. We also work alongside the Health Authority throughout Merseyside and the Department of Education within Liverpool and Knowsley. Our services are provided to a full age range from 1 to 105. The emphasis of all our services is to help blind and partially sighted people to gain as much independence as they want. This can be achieved through a range of voluntary and statutory activities. We take pride in reviewing the work we do on a regular basis and bringing in changes and improvements whenever we can. Our society is strongly led by blind and partially sighted people, with 7 of our Board of Governors being themselves visually impaired and reporting to a consultative group made up of those people who use our services. This group of individuals tell us how to improve the service so we can go out and find the funds to do it.
The Bradbury Centre